Potential teacher candidates are eligible to apply for admission to the Elementary Teacher Education Program upon completion of the AA Degree (Para-Professional Education) described above. Potential teacher candidates are advised to begin the application process in late January. Application packets are due to the School of Education departmental chair by March 1. Incomplete and/or late application packets may not be considered.
Potential candidates must:
- complete the Associate of Arts Degree with an emphasis in Para-Professional Education, a cumulative GPA of 2.8 or higher, and a “C” or better in all required courses;
- successfully complete the Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST) in the content areas of math, reading, and writing prior to program application. The required score for each content area is 170 or higher or passing one content area with a score of 170 and a composite score of 500. Applicants must designate Haskell as the receiving institution when taking this test. Test scores must accompany application the ETEP Application;
- submit a written vision statement indicating a commitment to teaching and an educational autobiography (These two documents are completed in EED 101 Intro. to Education. They should be updated and carefully edited.);
- complete twenty documented classroom observation hours. (usually completed in EED 101);
- submit two letters of recommendation- one from a Haskell faculty member and one letter from a member of the community in which the candidate officially resides;
- demonstrate evidence of strong ethics and moral conduct by maintaining good social standing on-campus and completing a felony disclosure statement;
- submit application by March 1 to the SOE Department Chair; and
- complete an interview with the SOE Interview Committee.
A rubric scale is utilized by committee members to rate candidates as they respond to interview questions. Candidates also receive ratings on five Leadership Qualities. The committee makes recommendations to the SOE based on rubric scores. If necessary a student may be interviewed twice. Students will receive an official notification of their status within 10 working days following the interview.