The English department includes full-time English faculty; part-time, temporary assistant instructors, temporary grants-funded faculty; and administrative-clerical support staff. The faculty provide instruction for college-level English, American Indian Studies/English, and remedial courses. The department works closely with the tutorial center supported by the RISE grant.
Mission Statement: The mission of the English department is to provide higher education to federally recognized tribal members. The English department accomplishes this mission through provision of a curriculum that is culturally sensitive, innovative, and academically excellent.
Vision Statement: The English department contributes to the Haskell vision to become a national center for Indian education, research, fine arts, service, and cultural programs. These increase knowledge and support the educational needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives.
- To provide required general education courses in English composition, rhetoric, and literature
- To offer courses satisfying humanities distribution requirements and elective credit
- To teach American Indian Studies advanced courses that are philosophically based on literary and visual narrative forms
- To introduce students to the fine arts through creative writing. The department sponsors student activities: publication of Perspectives, an anthology of student creative writing; student readings at area colleges and libraries; and student publications at local, tribal and college levels, including Tribal College.
- To coordinate with the RISE learning/teaching specialist and other RISE grants staff in efforts to develop computer-based tutorial instruction, peer tutoring, and paper-and-pencil tutoring.
- To provide the university and Lawrence communities a forum for writers and scholars. The department invites outside speakers and employs faculty who are invited to civic and academic organizations as presenters in creative writing and humanities topics.
College of Arts and Sciences
Department of English
Ph: (785) 749-8428
Fax: (785) 832-6642
Office Hours: Mon-Fri 8-5pm