Financial Aid FAQs

What is my school code?


This number is unique to Haskell Indian Nations University. Every school is assigned a number, so if you are interested in attending a different school you will be able to do a “search” on the FAFSA. You can put up to ten different schools on your FAFSA. For each school code entered, that school will have access to your FAFSA information.

When do I apply for the FAFSA?

Apply as soon as you can AFTER January 1. You must reapply for federal student aid every year. Also, if you change schools, your financial aid does not automatically go with you. Check with your new school to find out what steps you must take to continue receiving aid. Do not sign, date, or send your application before January 1.

What is the Renewal FAFSA?

If you applied for federal student aid last year, you might qualify to use a Renewal FAFSA. The Renewal FAFSA’s are mailed to you in November and December for the next academic year. The Renewal FAFSA has fewer questions to answer. You will only have to add some new information and update information that has changed since your previous application. Call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243 for questions about the Renewal FAFSA.

How do I apply for a Pell Grant?

Submit a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) When you complete your FAFSA on the web the information you entered is directly sent to the Central Processing System and processed within 72 hours. You will receive a copy of the FAFSA in the form of a Student Aid Report (SAR) and your school will receive an electronic copy. Make sure you list our School Code (010438) on your application.

What is a PIN? Where do I get a PIN? Who needs a PIN? What is the PIN used for?

The PIN number is your electronic signature. You request your PIN at The PIN serves as your identifier to let you access your personal information in various US Department of Education systems. If you are a dependent student, a parent will also need to obtain a PIN. You should not give your PIN to anyone. You can use your PIN to:

  1. Electronically sign your FAFSA on the Web
  2. Make corrections to your FAFSA application information
  3. Access your applicant data records online
  4. Access your processed FAFSA data from the CPA, including your SAR
  5. Complete your Renewal FAFSA
  6. Let parents electronically sign the FAFSA, Renewal FAFSA, and make corrections to FAFSA on the web.

If you need assistance, contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243 for questions about the PIN process.

Haskell does not provide loans; however, you can, among other things, check your student loan history through the Department of Education’s National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) and access your loan account through Direct Loan Servicing using your PIN.

What happens after I complete my FAFSA?

system, you will be sent a Student Ad Report (SAR). The SAR outlines the information you provided on the FAFSA and, if there are not any questions or need for additional information your SAR will report the Expected Family Contribution (EFC), the number used in determining your eligibility for federal student aid. Your EFC will appear in the upper right-hand portion of your SAR. The results will be sent to you and to the schools that you list on your application.

How can I change or add a school code on my SAR?

If you want to have your application information sent to a school that you did not list on your SAR, you may:

  • contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center. You will need to provide your Data Release Number(DRN), which is located in the upper right portion of your SAR.
  • go online to and “open” your application.
What happens if my address changes?

If your address changes after you receive your SAR, you should correct your address as soon as possible. You can do this online at the FAFSA on the Web site or contacting the Federal Student Aid Information Center.

What is the PROCESS from the school once they get my SAR?

Upon receipt of your SAR, normal processing time can take up to 5 business days. The Financial Aid Specialist will review the report for accuracy and verification. You may be requested to submit required documents. If documents are needed, a Tracking letter will be sent to you requesting what documents are needed in order to complete your file. Document Request Notices are sent within 5 business days to you. If you did not receive a notice after 5 days, call the Financial Aid Office or Email us.

What happens after I submit all my documents requested?

Upon review of the documents received, the Financial Aid Specialist will forward the file to the Director to complete a Budget. Processing time to review documents may take up to 3 business days. If inaccurate or conflicting data is found, corrections may be performed based on information received. You will be contacted on what corrections are needed in order to further process you application. Once corrections are received and the file is verified for completeness, a Budget or an Award Letter can be done.

How do I know if my file is completed?

Eligible applicants will receive an Award Letter stating all Financial Aid Awards made for the academic year. Ineligible applicants will receive a Budget Analysis form stating Reason for Ineligibility.

How can I check on the status of my application?

You can email or call the office during normal business hours. Confidentiality measures will be strictly enforced.

How long does it take to complete my Tribal Needs Analysis?

Any student requesting a needs analysis form to be completed must have a completed Student Aid Report on file. Tribal forms will not be completed until an Award Letter or a Statement of Ineligibility Budget is done. If a file is complete, the Needs Analysis form can be completed within 24 business hours (3 days).

What records are needed to complete my Tribal Needs Analysis?

The Financial Aid Office will not perform estimated budgets. The following records are needed:

  • a completed and accurate Student Aid Report
  • an Acceptance Letter on file
  • all “Documents Requested” received.
What is the deadline for financial aid?

The Processing Center must receive your application by July 1, 2011 for the 2010-2011 school year. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS DEADLINE. Your correct, complete application information must be at the school by your last day of enrollment in the academic year. You have 60 days from the last day of enrollment to submit required documents to determine eligibility.

What happens if I WITHDRAW after I receive my financial aid?

The law requires that if you withdraw from school the amount of financial aid assistance that you have earned up to that point is determined by a specific formula. If you received more assistance than you earned, the excess funds must be returned. Once you have completed more than 60 percent (9 weeks) of the period of enrollment, you earn all of your assistance. A letter will be sent to you explaining what amount must be paid back.

Contact & Info

Haskell Indian
Nations University
Attn: Financial Aid
155 Indian Ave
Box #5027
Lawrence, KS

Phone Icon 785-749-8468
Fax: 785-832-6617

More Info:
The Office of Financial
Aid is located in: Navarre Hall

Office Hours:
8AM - 5PM

Walk-In Service:
10AM - 4PM

Haskell's Financial Aid
School Code is: 010438

FacebookHINU Facebook
TwitterHINU Twitter