Haskell Indian Nations Home

Financial Aid FAQs

What is my school code: 010438

This number is unique to Haskell Indian Nations University. Every school is assigned a number, so if you are interested in attending a different school you will be able to do a “search” on the FAFSA. You can put up to ten different schools on your FAFSA. For each school code entered, that school will have access to your FAFSA information.

Back to Top

When do I apply for the FAFSA?

Apply as soon as you can AFTER January 1. You must reapply for federal student aid every year. Also, if you change schools, your financial aid does not automatically go with you. Check with your new school to find out what steps you must take to continue receiving aid. Do not sign, date, or send your application before January 1.

Back to Top

What is the Renewal FAFSA?

If you applied for federal student aid last year, you might qualify to use a Renewal FAFSA. The Renewal FAFSA’s are mailed to you in November and December for the next academic year. The Renewal FAFSA has fewer questions to answer. You will only have to add some new information and update information that has changed since your previous application. Call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243 for questions about the Renewal FAFSA.

Back to Top

How do I apply for a Pell Grant?

Submit a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) fafsa.ed.gov When you complete your FAFSA on the web the information you entered is directly sent to the Central Processing System and processed within 72 hours. You will receive a copy of the FAFSA in the form of a Student Aid Report (SAR) and your school will receive an electronic copy. Make sure you list our School Code (010438) on your application.

Back to Top

What is a PIN? Where do I get a PIN? Who needs a PIN? What is the PIN used for?

The PIN number is your electronic signature. You request your PIN at pin.ed.gov. The PIN serves as your identifier to let you access your personal information in various US Department of Education systems. If you are a dependent student, a parent will also need to obtain a PIN. You should not give your PIN to anyone. You can use your PIN to:

  1. Electronically sign your FAFSA on the Web
  2. Make corrections to your FAFSA application information
  3. Access your applicant data records online
  4. Access your processed FAFSA data from the CPA, including your SAR
  5. Complete your Renewal FAFSA
  6. Let parents electronically sign the FAFSA, Renewal FAFSA, and make corrections to FAFSA on the web.

If you need assistance, contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243 for questions about the PIN process.

Haskell does not provide loans; however, you can, among other things, check your student loan history through the Department of Education’s National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) and access your loan account through Direct Loan Servicing using your PIN.

Back to Top

What happens after I complete my FAFSA?

After your completed application is received by the Department’s processing system, you will be sent a Student Ad Report (SAR). The SAR outlines the information you provided on the FAFSA and, if there are not any questions or need for additional information your SAR will report the Expected Family Contribution (EFC), the number used in determining your eligibility for federal student aid. Your EFC will appear in the upper right-hand portion of your SAR. The results will be sent to you and to the schools that you list on your application.

Back to Top

How can I change or add a school code on my SAR?

If you want to have your application information sent to a school that you did not list on your SAR, you may:

  • contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center. You will need to provide your Data Release Number(DRN), which is located in the upper right portion of your SAR.
  • go online to www.fafsa.ed.gov and "open" your application.

Back to Top

What happens if my address changes?

If your address changes after you receive your SAR, you should correct your address as soon as possible. You can do this online at the FAFSA on the Web site or contacting the Federal Student Aid Information Center.

Back to Top

What is the PROCESS from the school once they get my SAR?

Upon receipt of your SAR, normal processing time can take up to 5 business days. The Financial Aid Specialist will review the report for accuracy and verification. You may be requested to submit required documents. If documents are needed, a Tracking letter will be sent to you requesting what documents are needed in order to complete your file. Document Request Notices are sent within 5 business days to you. If you did not receive a notice after 5 days, call the Financial Aid Office or Email us.

Back to Top

What happens after I submit all my documents requested?

Upon review of the documents received, the Financial Aid Specialist will forward the file to the Director to complete a Budget. Processing time to review documents may take up to 3 business days. If inaccurate or conflicting data is found, corrections may be performed based on information received. You will be contacted on what corrections are needed in order to further process you application. Once corrections are received and the file is verified for completeness, a Budget or an Award Letter can be done.

Back to Top

How do I know if my file is completed?

Eligible applicants will receive an Award Letter stating all Financial Aid Awards made for the academic year. Ineligible applicants will receive a Budget Analysis form stating Reason for Ineligibility.

Back to Top

How can I check on the status of my application?

You can email or call the office during normal business hours. Confidentiality measures will be strictly enforced.

Back to Top

How long does it take to complete my Tribal Needs Analysis?

Any student requesting a needs analysis form to be completed must have a completed Student Aid Report on file. Tribal forms will not be completed until an Award Letter or a Statement of Ineligibility Budget is done. If a file is complete, the Needs Analysis form can be completed within 24 business hours (3 days).

Back to Top

What records are needed to complete my Tribal Needs Analysis?

The Financial Aid Office will not perform estimated budgets. The following records are needed:

  • a completed and accurate Student Aid Report
  • an Acceptance Letter on file
  • all "Documents Requested" received.

Back to Top

What is the deadline for financial aid?

The Processing Center must receive your application by July 1, 2011 for the 2010-2011 school year. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS DEADLINE. Your correct, complete application information must be at the school by your last day of enrollment in the academic year. You have 60 days from the last day of enrollment to submit required documents to determine eligibility.

Back to Top

What happens if I WITHDRAW after I receive my financial aid?

The law requires that if you withdraw from school the amount of financial aid assistance that you have earned up to that point is determined by a specific formula. If you received more assistance than you earned, the excess funds must be returned. Once you have completed more than 60 percent (9 weeks) of the period of enrollment, you earn all of your assistance. A letter will be sent to you explaining what amount must be paid back.

Back to Top