History - Tommaney Library
Miss Helen Ball became the first librarian at Haskell in 1904. Over the years, the library was housed in various locations.
In 1977 Tommaney Hall was built to house the library collections. Tommaney Hall was named in memory of Tomas Tommaney, former Haskell Superintendent. He was well regarded for his interest in Indian Education, his outgoing personality, and the ability to meet people easily. He was an inspiration for his work in helping people.
Mr. Tommaney worked with the Sioux Tribes, Warm Springs Tribes, Apache Tribes, and Pima Tribe. For 15 years he worked with the Navajo tribe and became Director of Schools on the Navajo Reservation.
Tomas Tommaney was appointed Superintendent of Haskell in 1960. In 1962 he was transferred to the Muskogee Office as Assistant Area Director of Education.